Here is how South Carolina Run for the Fallen works:
There will be a pre-staked Hero Marker approximately every mile of the 122 mile route. We run for over 375 heroes, so most markers may have multiple names. The marker will have a date and time that the runners will arrive. The timing is very specific and will be listed by mile at specific intervals. A small core team of athletes running 8-9 minute miles will arrive at the designated time. When runners arrive at the hero marker they will be carrying four flags - United States, South Carolina, Honor and Sacrifice, Honor and Remember - as well as a runner card with the hero's information. Runners will hand those flags to any four people waiting at the marker (veterans or supporters, not necessarily family). They will automatically come to attention and read aloud the name of the hero, branch of service and date of death. During the reading of each name, a small US flag and Honor and Remember flag will be raised and then ceremoniously planted in the ground (nothing will be left behind). Honors will be rendered (hand salute). The Runners will then pay their respects to family members present. The Runners retrieve the flags and hero card then continue to the next Hero Marker. This is all accomplished in 90 seconds or less. There will be no hesitation, as other families are waiting ahead. Each mile is specifically accounted for 10 minutes total time each. Families can fellowship before and after runners arrive at that mile.
1. Runners approach Hero Marker
2. Hand 4 flags over to waiting people, if available. (otherwise hold)
3. Flags held at attention by people at marker
4. Runners read hero information, ceremoniously plant flags.
5. Runners salute the hero and family. (pay respects)
6. New hero card is handed to a runner for the next mile
7. Runners retrieve 4 flags, turn in a military manner and move to next hero marker